I have been struggling with acne since 2008. With the help of the dermatologist, I was able to cure my acne back then. Since then, I have been consistently going to my dermatologist until 2014. After that, I had only occasional breakouts of less than 5 acne per one time, so I tried to experiment on my own skin and tried to find skincare products that worked well for me. My skin had no reaction until the year 2016. Although I had little white bumps starting December 2016, I just thought that it would go away on its own. So I still continued to find other skincare products for my skin type (oily acne prone skin). It only got worst around the 1st quarter of 2017 and was so stubborn to cure it on my own without any dermatologist’s help. It was only until January 2018 did I seek my dermatologist because nothing that I used seemed to work. Sadly my previous dermatologist died so I had to look for another dermatologist.
Products that I used last 2017 that didn’t work for me:
- Clinique acne solutions line (cleansing foam, clarifying lotion, clinical clearing gel, bb cream). This was so costly!
- Cosrx line for acne (BHA skin returning emulsion, centellla blemish cream, advanced snail power essence, aloe soothing sun cream, good morning gel cleanser, bha blackhead power liquid, BHA skin return a-sol, acne pimple master pach and one step pimple clear pads)
- And a lot more which I can’t remember
This was my face on January 2018. Angry cystic acne all over my face.
This was what my dermatologist prescribed to me:
- Intake Tetralysal once a day after meal. Tetralysal is an antibiotic known to treat acne. I was taking this from January 2018 to April 2018. This costs around P90 per piece in my dermatologist. This needs a doctor’s prescription before you can buy this at rose pharmacy which costs around P107 per piece
- Trichloroacetic acid peel (TCA peel) or black peel. I was undergoing either peel simultaneously once every 2 weeks. I am also advised to be avoid sun exposure for 3 days after the procedure and to use an umbrella or large hat and sunglasses when walking under the heat of the sun. The black peel costs around P1,500 per session and the TCA peel costs P800 per session.
My skincare regimen:
- Wash face using Acnoff soap. I forgot how much was this.
- After drying my face, I used Clindamycin as a toner. This costs P300.
- Azelaic acid for lightening the scars. This was only given after my acne were all gone. This costs P400.
- Sunblock. I used Sunskeen Protech Sunblock. This step must not be skipped! This costs around P650.
- Wash face using Acnoff soap. This is the same soap used in the morning
- After drying my face, apply Epiduo Gel (adapalene and benzoyl peroxide) to the whole face. A little goes a long way. This can be bought in rose pharmacy. This can be bought in shoppee by acne.orgalternatives for P1,599 (This is already for 30g). This is more expensive in Rose pharmacy (price is higher than my dermatologist, I forgot how much) and in my dermatologist (P1,400 for 15g).
Please note that all my products can only be bought from dermatologists unless indicated.
This is my current face (June 2018)
I will be undergoing laser for acne scar removal for my acne scars soon.
Please note that what worked for me might not work for you so it is best to consult a dermatologist. For all who is curious, my dermatologist is Dr. Aileene Dumdum.